Monday, August 6, 2012

wogoman weekly - volume 5 issue 1-6

Well good morning!
Here I sit waiting for my family to wake up.  I've been waiting most of the the night.  Well, all of the night.  I can't sleep.  I think maybe somewhere around two - three I may have taken a nap but I think that is about it.  So today is off to a great start!
 
Why can't I sleep?  Well it might be at 6 pm I had what Arby's calls a Medium Dr. Pepper.  And by medium I mean a huge thing that is equal to about 3 cans of soda then yes that is what I drank.  I know I know, caffeine and I don't go well together and for most of you that amount of pop would have done nothing.  So maybe that is not it.
 
I'm sick so maybe it was the coughing that kept me up.
 
I think though it was my brain.  As we speak Jason is finally getting some sleep.  He had two fires on his last day of work August 4th.  Both of them were in the evening.  One house fire at 8 pm and then the Walter Piano building at 6 am.  By the time the fires were out and equipment put away they had to go on their next call.  There is nothing much about it in the paper even today.  Guess no one from the Elkhart truth wanted to get out of bed and take some pictures. :)  All in all that is not what kept me up.  What kept me up is that one of J's truck crew fell from a ladder while trying to vent the house fire.  It had rained, Joe did everything he was supposed to, he set the ladder, checked it, went up and fell.  Broke his back between L1 and L2 with stress between L3 and L4.  So when J wasn't at the fires that night he was at the hospital with one of his crew waiting.  Joe is going to be ok, we went and saw him yesterday at the hospital after Jeff's surprise birthday party.  He is going to have three months in a brace, no surgery, then therapy, and hopefully a full recovery.  When we saw him in the hospital, Joe was still in his fire department shirt.  They were serious when they told Joe he can't get up and move around.  What really got me was seeing his wife coming back to the hospital while we were leaving.  It really sunk home that this job that J goes to is dangerous, even when he promises me he will be careful.  I laid awake last night thinking about that and how before J was the lieutenant on Truck 18 he used to drive Truck 18.  Just like Joe did Saturday night.  Kinda freaky to me.  Maybe it is the very small amount of sleep I've had . . . maybe it is the caffeine from last night... who knows, but get up this morning and tell the ones that are important to you that you love them. 
 
So what can you accomplish when everyone but you and the dog is sleeping?  I put away my picked watermelon rind that I made.  Yep, I even washed the jars and lids and wrote on them.  I picked up the kitchen.  I was on pintrest, that is a given!  I tried to renew my driver's license(unsuccessfully) so then I made an appointment for myself for Wednesday to get that renewed, snuggled with t when she started crying in the middle of the night, surprised the heck out of my husband when he got up.  (that is always fun)  hmmm seems like more . . I really did try to sleep.  It just wasn't going to happen I guess.  J just looked at me and said, "Well how do you like not sleeping for 24 hours?"  and " You are going to crash hard today."  Probably true. :)  Maybe I can get something canned before then!
 
Life has been happening around here so much that I think about writing you all an email . . . and then I get distracted . . . .
 
Tenille is doing great as always.  She is impressing everyone.  Some older lady at the hospital took a look at her and keep saying "oh so pretty" Daddy and the grandpa's had better be ready for the teen years.  Tenille took swim lessons this summer.  She had her "I like them days" and then she had her . . . "I'm not getting in that cold pool days"  Tenille and J touched the seals at the fair and she thought that was great.  She also petted everything else that would come within reach and got to sit on her cousin's horse.  I'm not sure what was the highlight, the seal or the horse. :)  My parents got back from their Alaskan adventure.  They brought Tenille presents which was very nice of them.  Her response to the rock with a "sea shell" on it was, " Grandpa, that is not a sea shell, that is a barnacle."  Ok then!  We got sand in her sand box and she is very excited about how "soft" it is. :)  She has her school supplies and is ready for a year in preschool this fall.  Preschool is right at little saints so she will just move from one room to another for a couple of hours a week.  Nice huh?
 
J is good.  Busy but good.  He's 35 now you know!  It is too bad my down time is when he is busy and his down time is when I am in school.  At least I have the pool to use during my "off season".  But I guess since we didn't have much of a snow this last year, J really didn't get an "off season" at Eagle.  I remember he kept saying, "If it doesn't snow we will never have time to do all the maintenance we do on the trucks before it gets busy"  See secretly he is a worrier.  :)
 
And me, well I haven't done much outside besides water and work in the garden.  I have canned salsa, relish, and pickled watermelon rind.  I have made sure the pool has stayed in one place.  I mean someone has to watch that thing . . . daily if needed.  My bees . . . well there is more drama in those hives then apparently there should be.  (ha ha be . . bee . . get it?) Anyways, if you remember Lovelace killed off their queen right after I got them.  They are now "queen right" meaning they like there new queen they created and are glad it rained finally.  I might get honey off of them. Maybe.  Hypatia . . well they decided they didn't like their leading lady either and so off with her head. . . no queen.  Happy bees, making honey, just nobody to remind them that they are all going to die without a queen when winter comes.  So Jack came out again and with some jazzy beekeeping we gave them some bee babies and hope they make a new queen for themselves.  I wish I could remember what my uncle said about them,  they are going to "hog tie and play in the mud " or some crazy Watson saying.  Meaning this is their last shot to survive the winter on their own.  I will check them in two months and see that I have hopefully a new queen . . if not it will be time for more fancy beekeeping.  Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have uncle jack help me?  He is GREAT!  And I am not saying that because I haven't slept in a day and a half.
 
Well nothing else is coming to mind.  Hope you had your coffee in hand while reading this because I seem to have written a book.  Hmmmmmm maybe I should write shorter emails . . . I'll try harder next time. :)
 
 
P.S. for all of you who know about "boss of the month"  I am now in charge.  Be sure to ask Jason how he lost to his beautiful wife. :)  Last month he left me in the car at 2 :30 am after a concert to make sure he got to flip the calendar.  Two can play at this game. :)
 
Tracy

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. 

Have you used one today to say'thank you'?"

 William A. Ward 

 

No comments: