Monday, August 29, 2011

wogoman weekly - volume 4 issue 10



 
Well good morning on this bright and sunny shiny day.  Things are good.  It is always awesome to start the day/week/month feeling as blessed as I do.
 
So I thought I would start with the obvious realization that I had about myself.  I decided that I wanted to take a picture off all that I have put away in the freezer so far this year.  I am feeling pretty good about it actually.  So it order to make the freezer "photo worthy"  I thought I should organize it.  I put on the gardening gloves and in 15 minutes I had this beautiful freezer.  I was also faced with the hard truth about myself.  So here it is.  I'm a bread hoarder!  After pulling out all the bread I found the rest of the food.  I have enough bread to completely fill this other freezer in the garage.(And there might be a little bit more in the freezer in the house.)  Hmmmm... guess I like bread and am afraid we will run out. :)  You might ask, isn't that the same refrigerator that the freezer broke back in the middle of the worst snow storm in the winter?  The answer is yes but it magically fixed itself and now work.  hmmmmm I know that doesn't happen so the bread went in there because I am sure if I put something more valuable in there it will surely stop working again.  Maybe the mice fixed it when they were in the garage last winter.
 
Speaking of mice we have had our run in with them this past couple of weeks.  Several weeks ago I moved some things outside only to find a mama mouse and her babies scurry away.  What do I do?  Grab Tenille and have a ohhhh look how much lesson.  Followed by J saying, why didn't you kill them.  You know they will be back in the garage in the winter eating your bird and garden seed again. I hadn't thought of that.  So when Tenille asked last week to see the birds in the bird houses I was surprised to open one up and find the mama had moved her babies there.  So this time I reacted better.  I told J and got a bucket to put them in.  We left the actually killing up to J but Neille helped put them in the bucket with a stick.  J step on them in the bucket, only to break the bucket(Tenille's favorite part of the story) and sending two mice jumping for their lives.  J squashed them right in front of Tenille.  She watched and didn't say much.  Then calmly asked what we were going to do with them.  What ensured was a mice throwing contest and ended up with yes all ducking because Tenille didn't know when to let go of the tail.  :)  Apparently dead things don't bother her.  So four dead mice and a mice contest.  Not a bad day.  :)
 
Other than that we have been enjoying the pool for the last few dips. I have been canning whatever comes out of the garden.  Yesterday I had 36 tomatoes.  I cooked those bad boys done to a spaghetti sauce that is finally thick.  Guess how many quarts I ended up with?  2!  and a small relish jar in the freezer.  But boy will that taste awesome come February.
 
The other picture of me is the mirror in our garage.  It is from the bathroom of the gas station in Bristol, by the bridge.  My grandparents used to own the gas station and some how this piece made it to their house and I got in from Grandma at her garage sale.  Sweet huh?  And speaking of mirrors. I finally found a mirror for our 1/2 bathroom.  I have been looking at every garage sale and resale store for one that I like and I found the perfect one on Saturday for the bargain price of $4.  I'm just so excited.
 
One last funny thing for me.  I started a new book called Made from scratch: Discovering the pleasures of a handmade life.  The book had a preface that made me laugh out loud. It goes like this:
"The general opinion is, if you want a more self-reliant lifestyle, then you'd better run off to the country and buy a log cabin on five pretty acres.  It should come complete with amazing views, a fixed-rate mortgage, and a porch swing - all of it miles away from the nearest shopping center of strip mall.  Of course, we all know postcard property and an address aren't enough.  You should also get a barn full of livestock, rolling fields of vegetables, and an old pickup truck with lots of rustic character.  It also wouldn't hurt to have a shed stocked with every tool imaginable and a cellar stocked with rows of canned goods.  Make sure there's a nice elderly couple next door to dispense advice.  You know, someone to help you out when you need a cup of sugar, that kind of thing."
 
So there you have it, our house minus the live stock (still holding out for a couple pretty chickens or bees) and the rustic truck. (want one haven't found it yet though)  and the neighbors, oh we have them and they are the nicest people!  So do I feel grateful, you bet.  We have want this lady only dreams about.  I guess it is just a reminder to be oh so thankful every time I return home.  I wish you all the best week ever and hope you are living your dream. :)  Or at least realize that someone somewhere only wishes they could be you.
 
Tracy

"The difference in who you are and who you want to be is what you do." 

 check us out on the web:
 
13551 CR 12
Middlebury, IN 46540
t - 574.361.2334
j - 574.596.8144   

No comments: